hearts

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wake Up Call

Now that I'm substitute teaching in two school districts I'm walking into lots of different situations. Lindsey (my bff of the West) and I were talking the other night about all the sad things we see in our classrooms every day and it really dawned on us how sheltered we are to what goes on in other homes. A couple weeks ago I noticed a little boy getting really angry and another teacher informed me that he was just moved to another foster home that week and he was on his fifth home…note that the student was in 3rd grade. This made me realize that not every child gets to go home to a loving family like I did and that the attention we give them at school might be the only thing they look forward to each day. Today, I had the same situation the Kindergarten teacher I was subbing for today told me that out of her 22 students that 4 of them were drifting foster children.

Sorry for the not so positive post but, just wanted everyone to think about how lucky they are and that there are others in situations worse. I asked B.J. if we could foster but, he replied very quickly with no bc then we would have to buy another ticket each time we went home.  I realize that we need to enjoy our time together as a single couple so I’ve started the process to be a BigSister!! The process is almost complete so I will keep you updated once I’m matched with a little girl in need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment